Photobucket


Sunday, October 17, 2010

Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup

Who doesn’t love an easy, yummy and affordable recipe? If you’re like me, I try to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible and the easier (and cheaper) the recipe, the better. This Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe fits all of my requirements, which is why I’ve made it time and time again. Plus, if you are cooking for one like myself, it is great for leftovers.

My BFF Liz discovered this recipe from allrecipes.com a couple years ago and we’ve tweaked it a bit for a slow cooker. This soup is healthy and so simple, which makes it a keeper for me. Enjoy.

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Ingredients:
  1. 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  2. About 30 oz of reduced sodium chicken broth
  3. 1 C frozen corn
  4. 1 C chopped onion
  5. 1 C chunky salsa
  6. 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  7. 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  8. 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  9. 1/2 tsp chili powder
  10. 3/4 can of rinsed black beans
Directions:
1. Prep ingredients (chop onion, mince garlic, rinse beans, etc.)















2. Mix all ingredients in the slow cooker.

 
3. Cook on low for approximately 6 to 8 hours.










4. Remove chicken breasts and shred. Put shredded chicken back in slow cooker.













5. Serve with reduced-fat Mexican blend shredded cheese and broken tortilla chips.



































[Original recipe via]
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE chicken tortilla soup.

    Check out SparkRecipes.com for yummy and healthy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT recipe! Paul and I tried it out tonight and totally loved it :) it will now be on rotation!

    ReplyDelete